Monday 3 November 2008

Lebanon #8: Every tattoo tells a story

1.
I notice that one of our drivers has a tattoo on his arm. At lunch I asked him about it. Problem number one- he doesn’t understand a word of English. Thankfully, my host, Dennis, fluent in Arabic, was near by to lend his services.

It’s a dragon tattoo. Pretty cool.

On his other arm was another a tattoo: this was of a heart with a dagger through it. I asked him about it, via Dennis. He tells me it is of troubled love. I asked was it about him. No... not him. He goes on to mention his girlfriend. Her father will not let them be together. You see he is a driver and this is a dangerous job.

The father is a well educated man and even a man within education. He should know better. Even the mother has not condoned their relationship.

The daughter has lamented and vented at her parents. She once starved herself and locked herself in her room for several weeks. They only could speak to her via her widow. She has even stated that she would prefer death than be without him. Real Romeo & Juliet stuff.

Currently the father has said that he will decide in 2 months what the outcome will be... whether he will grant his blessing or not. The two months will be up in January.

I asked him to let me know the outcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I bloody hope you will come and tell us as well!

Solon said...

you'll be the first person i tell. :) Hope you're well... love your blog!