Sunday 23 November 2008

enterprise

this week- apart from sharing the room with the prime minister, assist with a social change event with the entrepreneurs of the next generation, take on a new volunteer, meet some of the trustees and plan for the coming year... i did something... wait... i saw something that just turned me into a child, uncontrollably excited about the future.

the marketing gurus got it right. and this is the bit where i potentially lose some street cred... i saw the latest star trek movie trailer. i was quivering watching it.

i grew up on re runs of trek. monday nights to be specific. you see i had poor health as a kid and while my brothers used to get to go to clubs and scouts, my mum and i used to watch the rockford files, star trek and later on blue thunder, manimal (pretty much your seminal 80s american tv shows). my mum and i loved watching trek. we'd sit snuggle in on the couch and watch kirk save the galaxy, spock recount the odds and bones vent his frustration.

so when i hear people talking about trekkies as nerds and trekkies as the weirdos trying to learn the grammatical correctness of the klingon language... it saddens me.

don't they know it's "trekkers".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the trailer as well and it looks awesome. I am not a Trekker but got to see this one.

And, of course, I got more info than what I really needed to know. Didn't know Brown was a Trekker... Beam me up Brownie. Oh wait, it's Bail me out Brownie.

Anonymous said...

beam me down brownie.

sounds like what i say most trips to the toilet.