Saturday 21 May 2016

Turkey 5: siblings

I have a few hours left in this border city to Syria Before heading to the World Humanitarian Summit.

Sitting now in a hotel room I'm trying to encapsulate what it feels like to be here on a border city to Syria. It hosts, I'm told, over 200,000 displaced Syrians Which is a conservative estimate.

Antakya is a wonderful city. It boasts the first Christian church. An area that is rich with history.

My experience over the past 48 hours includes incredible hospitality, visits to Syrian schools, sitting in the houses of displaced widows and their families, speaking with people who are wanted men just a few kilometres over the border and even heard from people who've had their family members affected by the chemicals used in dirty bombs and even some whose bodies have been found in rivers after going to prison.

This city is special. But it is also tired.

My colleague said this place feels like the amazing big brother that is housing its younger sibling. However, like most visits to your home, there is a point where they wonder when are they going to move out. After awhile that wonder can turn to different feelings.

In my travels throughout this city I have been referred to as brother time and time again: "my brother", "you are not a friend you are my brother"... "Thank you my brother".

As for me, I know this being the youngest of three brothers that we all need those older, or younger, siblings to help us out.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:İstiklal Caddesi,Haraparası,Turkey

No comments: