Saturday 29 March 2014

Drama

I'm involved in a production right now that is using older styles of perfomance. Using a combination of improvisation and simple theatrics.



The first performance is tonight. Just over 12 hours it will be show time.

We've only had two rehearsals. Last night was less of a triumph than the previous session. "12 hours" I keep telling myself.

The method of this performance is ancient. A trainee director said to me yesterday this has been done many times and gone through enormous iterative changes. When he did it (he too performed earlier this year... as it happens he was doing the identical role to the one I am playing) he said I just had to trust the director, the power of the story, and his faith in the story telling.

Well I'm certainly not confident in my abilities right now. It's hard to trust someone else in such a time of confusion. I know that I'm in a position of not knowing and he is in one of knowing. So who do I trust. 

12 hours to go.

No comments: