Wednesday 16 January 2013

Children's Stories

I came home buzzing.

It was the bit with the Eagles. I remember it. It excited me then and it did today when I saw it on the screen and even more so with the prospect in the morning when a tell the boys.

The thrill of an adventure. The changes in the heroes rising to challenges. Insurmountable odds. Hope fading. The stuff of legends.

I just saw the Hobbit.

Loved it. Loved the experience of stepping out, just briefly, into a very different world.

Critically, the film was good (not great nor the best). The 3D added depth and cinematic experience.

But what I loved was the thrill of an adventure which elevated the whole experience.

Oh and the bit with the eagles was as good as I remember. The amount of times I've replicated that in stories for my little ones.

A friend shared... upon a dusty Kenyan road travelling a very long journey his head rested well upon his mothers lap. Her loving hand stroking his young hair. The words uttered were of the adventure and challenge of a small, reluctant, and unassuming hobbit who journeyed with 12 dwarves and a wizard to meet a dragon. He rested and listen transfixed to every word and dulcet sounds of a mother with excitement. It was his earliest memory.

I can't wait to tell my children about it.

No comments: