Sunday 26 August 2012

Struggle for Survival

I've been to 3 slums. I'm no expert on slums.

One of my fondest times was sitting with Parwyn and his family of 8 siblings and mum as he proudly took me into his home. His older sister enjoyed telling me how they often fight due to being so close to each other and wisely ended "if we do not fight it means we do not love each other" with a lovely smile as she glanced over to cheeky Parwyn.

He said to me he wants to grow up and help his neighbourhood.

The lady who brought us here, ran a school and she said Parwyn was one of the gifted boys in this area.

I often wonder about Parwyn and how he is doing.

This week we were involved in turning Chancery Lane into a slum and inviting Londoners to step out of their world and step in to the proverbial shoes of those who live daily in the slums.

This was only a simulation that we were involved in and merely a way to educate, forge deep empathy and to empower people to engage with such issues using their influence and abilities.








No comments: