Thursday 19 January 2012

pennyless

its something that happens to someone else. you're on a train. the meeting, an important one, is where you are heading. your mind racing with words to use and ideas to convey. not even time to look out the window at the now well worn beautiful view. the ticket man strolls along with his usual shout of "tickets please" comes to you and you reach for your wallet. the ticket office was shut and machine being serviced so the strategy to buy on the train. you reach and the wallet is not in the usual pocket of preference. you try the next. the next try: your coat. both pockets empty. the only place left is the bag. a little more urgency. the search yielding the conclusion that the all important wallet is not there. the ticket man waits. he's probably seen this a thousand times. all that is left is the realisation that you are penniless.

i turned to say i'm really sorry but i don't have my wallet. he looks at me and says your going to have to get off. my timing was cutting it fine to make it to the company i was meeting. it was critical development meeting.

i slump back and realise that i have no money. i phone my brother up frantically. no signal. i wait and freeze at the reality that things are not going to work out as i had planned. all of sudden the view outside becomes real.

the people around look at me. ignoring me yet they all know what is happening. the lady across expresses empathy. her words nice but still my situation is i've got to get off and leave. the man opposite looks at me yet continues his computer work. the signal for my phone returns. i call my brother again. explain that i left my wallet behind and whether he can drop everything to meet me.

the signal cuts out again. this time its a tunnel.

the lady across says: would it help if i buy your fair? i sit expressionless. i don't know this women. everyone else has judged me. she says the words again... would you like me to get your fair?

i look down. then across to her and say... would that be ok.

she pulls out her wallet, probably in her preferred place, and given me two ten pound notes.

i say thank you. the ticket man returns. i buy the ticket it comes to £19.80. i have 20 pence left and i slip this in my pocket.

i turn to the lady give her my contact information and say again thank you and she says i hope someday someone would do the same for me.

i sit there in awe. i phone my brother back and say disaster over. don't worry... thank you being willing to help.

i thanked her again as i left and just had thankfulness in my heart that i had been looked after.

later that day as i walked around after my meeting. i had this unbelievably overwhelming urge to give that 20 pence away. it wasn't much. but it was all the money that i had. as i walked down the stairs with this urge. i saw a man sitting there. he asked the man walking up the stairs for money. he just walked on. as i passed him. i turned back to him knelt down and passed him, in his hand, the 20pence that sat in my pocket. i said a quick prayer and then walked on. i am not completely without a penny. yet it felt right.

my 2 following meetings continued and one of the persons said can i give you some money. i declined and said i have plenty right now. all that i need.


No comments: