Friday 3 November 2017

Fell off my bike

It’s Friday. The bike was out. Ready for the ride into work. Planing to listen to a podcast. It was a lovely autumn day. Crisp. Cool and stunning colours (just).

En route to work. Was overtaken by 5 cyclists. The usual indicator of my poor cycling prowess.

Then whilst eventually getting to the downhill bit (phew)and taking one of my fav corner. I indicated as usual. Then steered single handed. It didn’t feel the best of turns and with one hand felt like I’d over done it.

I had.

The bike started to freeze and the momentum was still carrying me forward. I skidded and then flew over the top. It was at an angle so the first thing to hit the ground was my elbow. It hit hard and pushed up, sharply, under my rib cage up. It was fast and hard. Due to the angle of fall a roll quickly followed. Ouch.

Lungs crushed. The hard poke took the immediate air out. The roll cushioned the blow. I get up. Just. Walk to the side and bring my bike over and collapse. Hard to breathe. Hard to breathe.

Then I hear the voices. “Are you ok?” Did you hit your head?”

People gather and try to help me relax. One lady and her daughter were practicing their driving stayed with me. Another, a man with his dog. I think it was a lovely grey colour.

They walk me to the bench which I didn’t want to sit on because of the dew. A plastic bag makes it easier though.

The lady calls Angie and then continues to talk to me. She’s a teacher and has an extended holiday this week and was helping her daughter with her DofE.

She stayed with me. She comforts me. She waits.

Angie eventually comes to take me away.

I look up at the lady and say thank you. She says I hope you get better. Please get it checked out.

What lovely neighbours we have around here. Grateful for people who stop and check in on us. Especially when we fall. They help us pick ourselves up. They help us realise that we can’t do this alone all the time. They remind us to do likewise to others.

We need more people like these. We, too, need to be these type people.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad




Location:Newlands Road,Tunbridge Wells,United Kingdom

No comments: