Tuesday 9 September 2008

little to offer

believe it or not i'm a kind of person that is quite negative about myself. i don't think i have much to offer, nor do i view myself as particularly talented.

i often have "shower moments" when i think, sometime to angie's amusement out loud, "what on earth am i doing... surely we need some professional whatsit to do this."

still being in the business of volunteering i often look around and see such latent talent. many people have said they don't know what they could do. i usually bite my lip, but think man surely it's a case of what can't you do. the sky's the limit... the world's your oyster.

i was brought up with my mother always telling me that i could do anything. yeah, mum i'm still waiting for NASA to call me up for their next trip. but i do still hold to her words and believe at somepoint i will write my book, that i will become a musician and that in the future..... hmmmm. i guess what it comes down to: my mother gave me was hope. hope that i could be that proverbial person that is not looking at the gutter, but towards the stars.

recently, i have been working with a couple of volunteers that have kindly given up their summer and i have seen them try out some pretty cool stuff. one in particular impressed me with his "can do" attitude. a willingness to throw himself into what many would deem as "scary" situations.

what amazed me was not so much his skill set, but just the sheer humility of the purpose and the will to step out of his comfort zones. he reminded me of this hope that my mum used to speak of.

... i'm pretty sure NASA are going to call tomorrow.

1 comment:

somewhere_smiling said...

I identify my friend - but I'm proud of you - proud to know you as someone who serves humbly, honestly and profoundly (defined as: showing intellectual penetration or emotional depth). Keep on walking B&A... and when you get that call from NASA don't forget to send me a post card