Thursday 1 August 2019

Israel: I am the uncomfortable tourist









I came to see and experience this land that I have only learnt about from books, friends, family, Aid workers and newspapers. I thought I knew stuff about this place. But the more I explored the less I felt I understood. 

Before I came, I spoke to my Dad and colleagues about coming and they kept saying how amazing it would be to walk where Jesus walked and be where he was. 

The reality is… wherever I followed in his footsteps and walked where he was supposed to have been… he was not there. Instead was the frenzy of those around me in search of a special moment to meet their Jesus. 

I kept searching and all I found was relics and icons. I also found check points, restrictions, walls and separation. 

I’m still searching.

No comments: