Monday 26 June 2017

Eid Mubarak: 5 things I have learned from 4 weeks of fasting

I have just completed 4 weeks of fasting for Ramadan.

I am not a muslim. Neither am I a Christian. I am not religious. I am, however, a follower of Jesus.

I did this not for religious or pious or even health related reasons. I did it for empathy and love for muslim friends who I have made over the last few years. Friends who like my family are displaced. Some survived the 'route of death', others seized the opportunity whilst it was offered. All are now lost in this new 'home' separated from their loved ones. They are broken. They are strong. They are full of hope. They are sad. I am honoured to be called their brother. Somebody once reached out to our family in a similar way.

This Ramadan I decided to join in and fast not quite like my sisters and brother waking up at 2am to eat or give up all fluids. I only went until our evening family meal (call it our "iftar") and being one of the hottest months I thought I would keep myself useful to my family by not dehydrating and kept up fluid intake.

I only lapsed for 36 hours. I deliberated for awhile whether I should or not break. But in the end I realised I am not religious about this. So when a special work related friend insisted on taking me (and some of my colleagues) out for lunch I happily(!) accepted and then hours later when my son turned 8 and not wanting to give up the tradition of having breakfast together. I also enjoyed our time and meal together.

A few things that happened along the way really caught me:

1. Fasting is inwardly creating a "Sacred Personal Space"
Call it what you like. There seems to be a special place that you are allowed "to step into" during a fast. It's not instant either. It takes days. But its a place that only you are in around all the usual-ness of day-to-day. You are in your special place as an observer, as a note taker on the rituals of the everyday. It is quite a delight to be there. You feel special and grateful that you get to sit and watch the world go by. 

2. Fasting is difficult in the last few hours
Man how I watched that clock and yearned for seconds to turn into minutes and minutes hours. As with most time flying things it was easier the busier you were. I had to keep myself on the go as much as I could.

3. Fasting is easier when drinking
Hats off to my Muslim friends. I'm not sure not drinking in weather conditions over the past month makes sense. But I realised that downing a glass of water helped stave off the hunger. On particularly tougher days I found soft sugary drinks also helpful to keep me not only seemingly full but also with a little 'zip' to keep going.

4. Fasting is weird. Especially when trying to explain to other people
"Oh!... well... term... good for you!". You try not to let others in on it but it's too difficult. I never realised how rigid we are to the pattern of breakfast, lunch and supper. In some parts of the world eating once is all they have. We have three meals and each has a social significance. Breakfast is the easiest to avoid. Most people have it on the move. Or in their own time. My kids often go down and pour themselves some cereal and happily eat by themselves. you wouldn't miss anyone at breakfast. 

Then there's lunch and slowly this becomes more social. Or unless you are sitting at your desk eating. But I get invited to eat with others. Our team sometimes breaks and sits together. Other say you fancy grabbing a bite somewhere. It's great. I love it. However, it's weird when you say "I'd love to join you but do you mind if I don't eat". You might as well have said: "up yours" as the response is usually a polite interchange of "oh! That's fine... are you sure... do you mind if I eat..." 

Then lastly if you miss dinner... in our house it's the one meal that we try to sit around together. Frankly, I'm not prepared to give that up for a whole month... but it's the same for muslims who celebrate iftar together. I like this. I like this a lot. (I particularly liked seeing iftar in war torn Syria- this encouraged me immensely.

5. Fasting is time of gratitude 
I'm grateful for the past month of fasting. It was an achievement. It was social. It was a deeply reflective time. It allowed me a sense of solidarity with friends of a different faith. Most of all I enjoyed the time I had exploring my own faith and worship. It was... emotional.

No comments: