Tuesday 7 March 2017

"I hope your dad is ok"

Not the words I was expecting.

I was expecting a spouting of regulations, new policies and how they would love to help me "but..." from the man across the counter of South Eastern at London Bridge just now.

You see today I made a mistake. I got it wrong. This morning I was running for a train (at High Brooms) and I thought I could pay for the train ride on the train itself. I've done it before. No problem.

My reasoning for running to catch an earlier train: it would give me a vital extra few minutes to see my dad. He's in Guys Hospital. I knew it would cost me an extra £5. I thought it would be worth it.

On the train I found the lady to ask about paying. She said she'd come back to me. She did. She then said that she has to charge me the 'full' amount (£35, nearly double the price).

Eek.

I was shocked. I asked for grace. She said the very best she could do was give me a single at the cheap day rate and then to go and ask at London Bridge excess fares to see if they would kindly extend the fare to a return trip. That was it and she apologised but that was some consolation for an expensive blunder. I knew this would cost me those vital extra 15 minutes with my dad. She said her hands were tied and already her machine's were giving her warnings about helping me out. She even flipped her pad to show me as she entered my ticket into her machine.

I thanked her and she gave me my ticket.

At London Bridge the excess fares kiosk was closed. I then ran to see my dad.

We had a lovely time. He was hooked up to a dialysis machine cleaning his blood. 4 weeks ago he was at death's door. This is nothing short of a miracle to see him alive and fighting for life. So thankful for these precious few minutes with my old man despite the nurse saying he looks younger than me (her reasoning he has more hair)!

I pray with him. Kiss his forehead and leave to catch my train. Thirty minutes was all I could do today. I wish it could be more.

Back at the station I walked in to the ticket office. Slightly nervous. There was a man and a woman. I chose the man to serve me and I start the request for just paying the excess for a fare rather than a whole new one.

The man listened as I explained the situation and rather than ask anything else about what to do he just looked up and said: "I hope your dad's ok."

Fighting back a tear I said he's doing much better. He wasn't to know that we nearly lost him. His continual refusal for dialysis until just weeks ago. The sheer pain of watching and waiting, waiting, waiting for Death's sythe to strike.

He continued: My step mum died in there. She missed a session. Couldn't make it. I'm sure they're doing a great job. Hope he's ok.

He then said it would be 10p more for the fare extension.

Thank you South Eastern for being so much more today than just a rail company.











- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments: