Tuesday 6 December 2016

Our friend Emma

We lost a friend. A supporter. A sister.

Emma died a few weeks ago. It was a secondary cancer. Took just months. And the world feels that much more lonelier now she has gone. I've written on death before but she is leaving a hole that seems to take me back through the years.

I have fond memories of her.

Being at the Higgs' household, where we both used to frequent as kids. She was Sarah's friend and James mine.

We also grew up in the same church. Her father used to drive me, my two brothers, mum & dad to church in the days before we had a car. I recall it was the days where you could all lil in the back even sit in the boot. He was one of the jolliest people that I ever knew. Smiley. Kind and Loving. The family always appeared to have something special about them.

In more recent years Emma & her husband Eric have been supporters of ours. They believed in our family mission. They enabled us to continue to do our service for the poor. We really could not do anything without them.

I taught Samuel briefly at St Johns church back whilst he was in year 2. A few months ago Columbus came to one of the slum simulations that we ran in Sevenoaks school.

I remember speaking with you whilst undergoing treatment for your cancer (the first time round) at a prayer evening where you were beaming of hope and healing as it had recently gone.

Then I heard that it had come back a few months ago. It was a deep time of prayer for us as we followed you to your final moments.

When I heard the fatal news I really wished that it wasn't true. I knew it was coming. I didn't want it to. I held out for hope of healing. Yet I knew it was coming.

Truth be told you made me realise that this could easily have been me or us. Not only were you like us, a parent of four children, you were also part of my generation and friend since childhood. And one day it really will be me, or Angie, that will be on death's doorstep. The thing that you have taught me however is not of death but life. I just hope between now and the day we eventually die we, too, will live bravely and courageously as you have done.

It's hard to say much more beyond an expression of really deep gratitude that sinks to the depths of my very being. You have inspired me and so many of us (and it seems like the list is endless) with your belief and strength.

Thanks Emma.

http://www.forevermissed.com/emma-sandor/#about

No comments: