Tuesday 9 July 2013

Casual racial condemnation

I've grown up in a land that my passport says I'm part of but my skin colour tells of a different heritage.

My parents too grew up in a place which was not their land of heritage but it was their home.

There is much hatred around due to the land we originate from and the values we adhere to.
Never ceases to shock me when it rears itself. Often in casual comments.

This was what one of my old school mates said on Facebook after the recent British winning Andy Murray won at Wimbledon.

"Hate to say it but us English we are so desperate for winners it won't be long till we cheering on some dirty British born Muslim at some sport out of desperation"

In a time of triumph and unity... The seeds of disunity and bitterness come out. Racism and casual hatred.
After being challenged many times to un-friend such a person I decided not to. I don't share their opinions in the least and realise that the righteousness and justice he seeks is not in politics. Rather the righteousness and justice I believe in are found in the acts of those who seek to model higher values.

I find myself remembering Madiba (Nelson Mandela) in the face of counter racism activity of black south Africa after gaining political power and the continual challenge he gave to those around him not to rise to the tit-for-tat or wounded and hurt person retaliation through moral superiority but rather through meek and humble service to demonstrate a higher value of justice.

I believe in that.

In the words of Gandhi "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind".

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments: