Thursday 9 May 2013

the cinema experience

I've just seen Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I treated myself to see this in the IMAX format.

Wow and WOW!

The film was breathtaking. A non stop thrill. But the experience was phenomenal. An enormous creen on which I had to turn to get from one side to the other. A screen that created a depth lower than my vision. And good heavens the sound was powerful.

A few time I felt my stomach leave me. A  few times the sounded penetrated through me. I gasped many times and even shed a tear. What a great experience.

It is this experience that I have always craved when stepping into the cinema. From when I chased with Luke Skywalker on his speeder bike on Endor, the gun rack with Neo and basement fights with Tyler Durden to the vampire brawls with Seth Gecko.  The combination of character, thrills and intriguing story telling are my favourite cocktail for cinema.

The experience was certainly complemented by the extras such the glasses, the walk in to the theatre, the short welcome by the staff member exclaiming that the screen is the largest in the country.... even the stewards with their torches at the end of the aisles reminded me of smoked filled screens of a youngster waiting for the ice cream lady to come over.

As the film ended an applause rung round the auditorium. I, too, was grateful for the experience. Thank you.




No comments: