Friday 26 April 2013

"Elijah"

I was at a friend's for breakfast today and I was arriving he said one of my sheep has given birth. Could you help me bring the lamb to the barn.

I put on some Wellies, a water proof and a hat and went out in the rain. We walked through the barn where the current lambs were. It was full and we saw a lamb stuck in the fence. My host freed her up and she happily was rejoined with her mother. As we walked around we met the others and a fox had recently come and helped himself to six of the lambs. Security was tough. Sadly one black lamb had died.

We walked over two fields and to a river bank where a ewe was standing and my host approached gently from the side. The mother was hovering over a small black lamb. He signalled me and that was my cue to approach. After handing me a towel I grabbed the lamb. Barely an hour old and wrapped it up.

As we walked the mother and child back the two blessed to one another and I held this amazing newly born lamb with such affection and protective spirit that I only felt when we had our own children.

We dropped them both to the barn and settled them.

Triumphantly we went back to the house to have breakfast. As I left to start my day my friend said we name them all with a name starting with "E"- I'll let you name him. Instinctively I wanted Elijah a name that I've always loved.

Here he is.

No comments: